Out-Of-State Student Complaint Process For Online Courses

Sandhills Community College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner in adherence to its core values and its mission. In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, institutions offering distance education courses or programs must provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with the college and with the state agencies that handle complaints in the students’ state of residence.

Students who are physically located outside of the state of North Carolina and taking online courses from SCC who wish to resolve a grievance should first follow the college’s Student Grievance Procedure outlined in the college catalog.

If the complaint is still not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be for the student to file a complaint with their home state. Below is a list of agencies in each state responsible for handling complaints regarding out-of-state distance education programs.

For issues related to specific compliance with the Principles of Accreditation, individuals should compose written evidence that all remedies available at the institution have been exhausted and then submit that evidence with the SACSCOC Complaint Form to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges as directed in the front of the college catalog and online at www.sandhills.edu. The Commission should be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support SCC’s non-compliance with a SACSCOC requirement or standard.



Contact information


Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education

PO Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Telephone: 334-242-1998
Fax: 334-242-0268

Complaint Form


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811‐0505

Complaint Form


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education

1400 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, Arizona 85007

Complaint Form


Arkansas Department of Higher Education

114 East Capitol Ave.
Little Rock, AR 72201

Complaint Form


Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798‐0818

Complaint Form


Colorado Department of Higher Education

1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, Colorado 80202

Complaint Process


Office of Higher Education

The Office of Financial and Academic
Affairs for Higher Education
61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105‐2326
Telephone: 860-947-1822

Complaint Form


Delaware Department of Education

Delaware  Higher Education Office
Teacher and Administrator Quality
John W. Collette Resource Center
35 Commerce Way
Dover, DE 19904
Telephone: 302-857-3388

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission

810 First Street, NE 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Complaint Process


Florida Department of Education

Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL. 32399-0400
Fax: 850-245-3238

Complaint Process


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 East Exchange Place
Suite 220 
Tucker, Georgia 30084-5305 
Telephone:  770-414-3300
Fax:  770-414-3309

Complaint Process


None listed.

None listed.


Idaho Board of Education

650 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720‐0037
Telephone: 208-334-2270
Fax: 208-334-2632


Illinois Board of Higher Education

431 East Adams, 2nd Floor
Springfield, Illinois 62701‐1404
Institutional Complaint Hotline:


Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education

Telephone: 317-232-1320
Fax: 317-233-4219

Complaint Process


Iowa College Student Aid Commission

603 E. 12th Street
5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50319

Complaint Process


Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612‐1368
Telephone:  785-296-4917
Fax: 785-296-7052

Complaint Process


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

Director of Postsecondary Licensing
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capitol Center Dr.
Suite #320
Frankfort, KY 40601

Complaint Process


Louisiana Board of Regents

For the academic degree‐granting institutions,
Louisiana relies on the Consumer Affairs
Division of the Attorney General’s Office at


Maine Department of Education

Office of Higher Education Services
Augusta, Maine, 04333


Maryland Higher Education Commission

Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202

Complaint Process


Massachusetts Board of Higher Education

One Ashburton Place
Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108

Complaint Process


Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth

Office of the Attorney General
State of Michigan
Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 30213
Lansing, MI 48909‐7713



Minnesota Office of Higher Education

1450  Energy Park Drive
Suite 350 St. Paul
MN 55108‐5227
Telephone: 651-642-0567
Fax: 651-642-0675

Complaint Form


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
Telephone: 601-432-6372
Fax: 601-432-6225

Complaint Info


Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102‐1469
Telephone: 573-751-2361
Fax: 573-751-6635

Complaint Info


Montana University System, Montana Board of Regents

Telephone: 406-444-6570

Complaint Process


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

Telephone: 402-471-2847

If students have complaints about such institutions, we refer them to the home state of the institution or the Nebraska Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at:

Filing a Complaint


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

3663 East Sunset Road
Suite 202
Las Vegas, Nevada 89120

Filing a Complaint

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education Commission

Filing Complaint

New Jersey

New Jersey Commission of Higher Education

PO Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625
Telephone: 609-588-3226

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

2048 Galisteo St.
Santa Fe, NM  87505-2100
Telephone: 505-476-8400

Complaint Form

New York

New York Office of College and University Evaluation

5 North Mezzanine
Albany,  NY 12234
Telephone: 518-474-2593
Fax: 518-486-2779

Complaint Form Info

North Dakota

North Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education

State Capitol ‐ 15th Floor
600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept. 270
Bismarck, ND 58505‐0610
Telephone: 701‐328‐2678


Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools

Filing a Complaint


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

655 Research Parkway
Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Telephone: 405-225-9100


Oregon Office of Degree Authorization

1500 Valley River Drive
Suite 100
Eugene, OR 97401
Telephone: 541-687-7478

Department of Education - Private and Career Schools Office

Telephone: 503-947-5600
Fax: 503-378-5156

Complaint Form


Pennsylvania Department of Education, Division of Higher Education

333 Market Street 
Harrisburg, PA 17126‐0333

Complaint Procedure

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education

PO Box 1900
San Juan, PR
Telephone: 787-641-7100
Fax: 787-641-2573


Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

Shepard Building
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: 401-456-6008

Complaint Procedures

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education

1333 Main Street, Suite 200
Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone: 803-737-2260
Fax: 803-737-2297

Complaint Form

South Dakota

South Dakota Secretary of State

Complaint Form


Tennessee Higher Education Commission Complaint Form

Division of Postsecondary School Authorization

Complaint Process


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

Texas Higher Education Coordinating
Board, Academic Affairs and Research
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, Texas 78711

Telephone: 512-427-6101


Utah Division of Consumer Protection

Complaint Process


Vermont State Board of Education, Vermont Department of Education

120 State Street 
Montpelier, VT 05620‐2501


Virginia State Council of Higher Education, Private & Out‐of‐State Postsecondary Education

Complaint Process



Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board

Complaint Process

West Virginia

West Virginia Council for Community & Technical College Education

1018 Kanawha Blvd. E. 
Suite #700
Charleston, WV 25301

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

Telephone: 304-558-4016
Complaint Process


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

Complaint Process


Wyoming Department of Education

Wyoming Department of Education
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway  Building, 2nd Floor
Cheyenne,  WY 82002‐0050

Attorney General's Office
123 Capitol Building
200 W. 24th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002


Locations         Employment         Security         For Faculty & Staff         Accessibility
youTube  facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Shutterfly